Blogger Vs WordPress: Why Self Hosted WordPress Blog Is Better Than Blogger
I am quite sure that those of you who have given a thought about starting their own blog would already know what WordPress & Blogger is.
WordPress and Blogger are the 2 most famous and popular blogging platforms which allow you to start and manage your own blog. You can set up your own blog from scratch using these platforms and start posting your articles on it.
I have seen many newbie bloggers getting confused while choosing the platform for their blog.
I would like to tell you that both Blogger & WordPress are highly powerful and exceptionally good platforms. However, both have their own set of advantages as well as disadvantages.
In this post, I will try to compare WordPress & Blogger, look at their pros & cons and suggest you the best platform for your blog. It’s important to keep in mind that whenever I mention WordPress in this blog post, I am referring to self-hosted WordPress blog.
The fact that you are reading this article already explains the fact that you are aware of both Blogger & WordPress.
However, before proceeding with the main topic, I would like to mention a few things in general about both Blogger & WordPress for the benefit of our readers who are not completely aware of it. So without wasting more time, let’s get started.
What is Blogger?
Blogger is a platform owned by Google which allows anyone to start his/her own blog with ease. It was originally developed by a company called Pyra Labs in the year 1999, which was bought by Google in the year 2003.
You can start your own blog with Blogger platform with almost no technical skills. You just need to login to your Gmail account, go to Blogger & create a new blog.
The URL of your blog would be something like yourblogname.blogspot.com. You can even change and redirect your blog to a custom top level domain which you own.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is open source CMS (content management system) which is based on PHP and MySQL. WordPress powers millions of blogs and websites across the world. It was released around 12 years ago by their founders- Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little.
WordPress is a very powerful and efficient content management system and you can use it not only for starting your own blog but also for developing websites and other web applications.
You need to install WordPress on a web server, set up your blog and you are good to go. You will have to purchase web hosting with any reputed service provider so as to upload & install WordPress on it and start your blog. You will also require registering a domain of your choice for your blog.
What are the similarities between Blogger & WordPress?
Well, the major similarity (as you already know) is that both are blogging platforms. You will be able to start your own blog on both the platforms. You can publish blog posts, articles, upload images/videos or pretty much do anything you feel on your blog.
What are the differences between Blogger & WordPress?
There are many differences between Blogger & WordPress. The owners of the 2 platforms are different. Many people find Blogger to be quite easy as compared to WordPress. However, with WordPress, you get better control & higher customization facility. We will discuss them at length elsewhere in this article.
Advantages of Blogger:
1) Simplicity- It’s extremely simple to use Blogger. Even a layman user will be able to start his own blog with Blogger. You do not require any major technical skills to start your blog on Blogger platform. The Blogger platform is simple, easy & convenient. Moreover, there are many tutorials and guides available to help you out, if you are stuck with something. However, I am quite sure you won’t face any sort of issue as the process is extremely easy.
2) Ease of Use- It’s very convenient to set up your blog on Blogger. You just need to login to your Gmail account, go to Blogger page and create a new blog by entering details like the name of the blog, selecting the design/layout, getting URL for your blog etc. After that, you are ready to start posting on your blog. It takes hardly 2 minutes at maximum to start your blog on Blogger platform.
3) Free of Cost- It said that there are no free lunches in the world. However, some things are indeed free of cost. You can start a blog on Blogger platform for free of cost. You don’t need to spend money on buying web hosting/server etc. You will get a blog with a sub-domain like yourblogname.blogspot.com, provided the same address is not already taken up by someone else.
4) Security- You get the benefit of high-level security integrated by tech giant Google. Blogspot platform is extremely safe & secure and there is no chance of facing any issues related to safety & security. Google has incorporated high safety & security measures. You don’t need to worry about updating plugins, versions or any those sorts of things.
Advantages of WordPress:
1) Appearance- Appearance does play an important role in determining the overall success of your website. If your blog looks ugly, none of your readers would like to read or visit it. You will be able to make more visually appealing blog/website with WordPress. There are thousands of themes available- both free & paid. You can select the best theme which you like and use it for your blog.
2) Higher Level of Customisation- You can customize your WordPress blog as per your requirements. You can make changes as you like to the design, structure, layout etc. of the blog. You can make the theme/design by yourself if you are good in technical skills or you can take help of thousands of free as well as paid themes & plugins available online. You can check them out and use those which you require.
3) Search Engine Optimisation- Search Engine Optimisation plays a very important role in determining the success of your blog. It is basically optimizing your blog or website so as to get better rankings in search results and in turn good traffic from it. WordPress allows you to perform the higher degree of customization. You can customize every part of your blog depending on your needs. There are various plugins available at your rescue which will help you in making search engine optimization easy.
4) Better Portability- Sometimes we come across difficult situations and we need to change the hosting provider or move the ownership of blog/website from one person to another. It’s easier to port or move WordPress websites/blogs from one host to another or one account to another. If you decide to change the domain or rather move your existing blog to a new domain, it’s easier to do it with WordPress. If you do it properly by following the correct approach, you will also not lose your rankings. This will help you a lot as your efforts spent by you over time in ensuring better search engine rankings won’t be wasted.
From my experience, I would suggest that the best platform for those people who are new to blogging or have just started with their own blog, Blogger is the best platform.
The platform is simplistic, easy to use and offers high convenience to its users, especially beginners.
Blogger is also the best choice for you if you do blogging casually or as a hobby. You can start and manage your blog for free with Blogger and you get all the features you require.
However, if you are thinking of taking your blog to the next level or blogging professionally, self-hosted WordPress blog is the best option for you.
As mentioned above in the article, WordPress allows you to have better control on your blog as well as perform customizations as per your requirements.
There are various other benefits as well offered by WordPress. So if you are an experienced blogger or taking your blog to the next level or blogging professionally, WordPress is the best suited for you.
I would also like to mention that the above conclusion is mentioned in general.
The choice might vary from individual to individual. Everyone person has different requirements and necessities.
Both Blogger & WordPress are excellent platforms and have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
I would also suggest you try out both the platforms and decide yourself which platform is best suited for you.
I hope you will be benefitted by reading this article. If you found the article useful, please spend a few seconds and share it on social networks.
Also, subscribe to our email updates so that you don’t miss out any related post in future.
Have you tried both Blogger & WordPress?
Which one do you prefer and why?
Share your experiences with our readers via your valuable comments.